Pixy file strategy

Strategies and Card File Construction

Pixy file strategy

Postby ChiYoung » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:34 am

A thread on simplistic pixy file strategy for those whom are interested. Now color coded for your convenience!

Why play Pixies?

Pixies is a strong, competitive file that is both flexible and powerful in the correct hands. Pixies play as a rush file, the most obvious connotation of which is that Pixies play a unit each turn, fight through attrition, and attempt to end the game as soon as possible, with multiple iczer attacks. Thus in most cases it is important for pixy players to maintain a large field of units.

And because it's cheap. And no, I'm not talking about overpowered cheap. I'm talking about moola cheap, dollars.

As of this writing right now, there are about three top meta files (maybe four if you count emma + mystere), Eternal Night, Pixie, and Dilate/Ruuca. Of these three files, top Eternal night files requires a set of EX and Eskatia (five star rarity) cards, and Dilate himself is a five star card. But the highest rarity card in a pixies file is a three star(!). What does this mean? You can get a complete, GOOD pixy file cheaper, and faster. It's less frustrating to play against files you KNOW you can't beat because you CAN beat them. I spent like, thirty dollars on my file. Get regular wins in Folrart.

Sure, in terms of rushes, Pixies don't have the ability to return things like Wizard Kingdom, or the raw nuking power of mid gowen. Heck, I still lose to a good modified Gowen starter! But Pixies has a decent chance against nearly ALL files. Wizard kingdom would have difficulty against Dilate/Ruuca, or SK return, or Volcano Hustle. Volcano hustle would get completely eff'd against EN or dark rush. Starmander vs abyssal forces = sad dragons.

Now I'm not saying that Pixies is BETTER then some Rushes. But it gives you a chance. And really, what else do you need?

Strategy 101

I find the lack of strategic knowledge in the game to be sadly lacking. To paraphrase a good web comic: This is strategy, k?

Plane do fail. "Perfect strategy" does not mean one perfect flawless genius plan. It doesn't mean you never lose.

This is REAL strategy:

First, you have a goal.

Then, you list strategic objectives in support of that goal, in order of importance.

Then, you weight the costs and accomplish the most you can, however you can, without even fighting, if possible! You've got bluff, subterfuge, a lot of the time it's just "watch what the enemy's doing and hit him where he's weak and you're strong".

But, he's doing the same to you. And you can't be strong everywhere. So you fall back where he's stronger, and sometimes you do lose. But you roll with it.

YES, you plan, ok? But the enemy won't follow your plan. So the trick is to hit him on the fly, define his choices, and watch for opportunities, like when he screws up.

You have to know more than he does about what's going on.

Source:http://www.erfworld.com/wiki/index.php/TBFGK_124

Let's take a good look at these words, shall we?

Firstly, the Strategic Objective here is to reduce your opponent's LP to zero before yours.

The last part is important. I've lost many, many times, not because I've failed to establish strong field control, but simply because I've run out of card copies, and lost a unit to an opponent SS.

There are two ways to reduce someone's LP. The first way to to Iczer attack. The second way is for an opponent to let a unit go to the cemetery. The inherent disadvantages of this is that the opponent will be able to use powerful soul skills. Careful SP management is required to be able to Iczer attack as much as possible. I usually try to float 1 to 2 SP. Any much more than three, and you are floating too much SP.

Some soul skills are especially dangerous to pixies. "Grand Cross" will instantly revive all those units you just spent a ton of resources to kill. Others you will laugh at. "Cleaving swing" is completely useless if they have no field.

For killing opponents, you will rely on clever tactics and your own soul skills. Knowing when to use your soul skills will be crucial in playing pixies.

The strategic objectives heres are to:

A: Create a stable field
B: Control your opponents actions
C: Iczer attack
D: Kill your opponent's units

Guess what your opponents have and pay close attention to their sphere levels and sp.

Tactics, or Stop playing Pixies you pixy abuser! =DDDDD

The main strength of pixies is the impressive stats of their front line units, Pixy greatswordswoman, Pixy duel wielders, and Fairy Knight/Torte, and their ability to "lock" their opponents files. These two traits give them the ability to stand a good chance against the roaring river that is the Folrart arena.

Starting off with greatswordswoman negates the most obvious problem most rush files have, that of a turn two or three sweeping tidalwave, and you can use it to avoid dangerous cyclones. This, combined with pixy healer provides the pixies a strong advantage against falkow files when compared to most rush files. (note: pixy healer's ability does not work well with Liz's soul skill). In addition, Seelie Sword can add an additional 30~50 game-changing damage mid to late game. You should NOT think of Pixy GS as a unit that is decent against Falkow, and sucks against everything else, rather, think of her as a good unit that does exceptionally well against falkow.

Pixy duel wielder's revive ability allow the pixy player to firstly maintain a unit on the field at all times and secondly deal large amounts of damage. Pixy Duel wielder acts as an excellent grim and soul skill bait. Sadly, duel wielder is hampered by below average base attack, so combo her with either mitzett, rats, or Seelie Sword if you don't have the SP to use blitz.

Fairy Knight/Torte's most two most important attributes is her knight's heart ability, which allows her to consistently deal large amounts of damage, and her DF. Ideally, with Duel Wielder soaking up all the dangers from the opponent, you can switch between Torte and Duel wielder to deal with the more troublesome units of the game. The DF is a little harder to use, because it requires you to have two other pixies on the field, and is often thwarted by large damage dealers. If they can kill you, then 30 def won't really make a difference, BUT, I have used it with some success against an unbuffed guardian, EN, undead, and mids. Remember that she needs a little time to ramp up her attack, and her ability to deal damage is hampered by her low base attack.

Finally, these frontline units come together under the support of Faerie Heroine/Mitzett, who gives another great boost to the already very strong base stats of the Pixy frontline units. Mitzett is also a decent soul skill and grim bait.

In spite of these strengths, Pixy files have several glaringly large flaws. While pixies have exceptional stats for their level, they have no higher level units at all, and the weakest level four unit would have no problem crushing three or four pixies.

Thus, what Pixy players cannot outright defeat, they must neutralize, and what they cannot neutralize, they must avoid. Pixy Duel Wielder and Torte allow Pixy players to defeat units with high amounts of HP and defense, while Soul Skills like Assassin and Liz allow Pixy files to neutralize field wipes and units they cannot kill (assassin works well with with lock units, allowing long turn locks without wasting turns by sending lock units to the cemetery directly). Pixy healer supplements this by giving levels and 10 hp, although fairy dance is better against ball of LAAAME. Pixy Assassin helps by dealing direct damage to critical units and slowing down characters, giving their brethren time to kill them. Finally, Pixy files can avoid fighting troublesome units by stopping the units from being played using Archer pixy and Mage pixy, and winning the game before the lock runs out.

A good pixy player will be able to stop the opponent's from playing his strengths and quickly ending the game before the opponent can react. This is pretty good advice, but in practice it breaks down to divide and conquer. Try to kill one unit at a time, to maximize your (hopefully) numbers advantage by closing a unit permanently. Use Open skills to gain an active phase advantage over multiple turns. An important subtlety about locking is that while it only prevens a unit from being played for two turns, it actually prevents them from coming onto the field for three. USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. ICZER ATTACK LIKE MAD.

An important concept that pixy players should learn is Field stability. If your opponents can field wipe you, you do not have good field stability. Strong Field stability is your Ideal. You want good Field stability. What do you want? Field stability.

Remember, Grims are there to give an advantage to when the field strength is about equal. This is tricky for Pixy files because pixies only have level two cards, and a level five card is worth like, four level two cards. But hopefully, this will help you predict when they are going to use grims.

Openings: Pixy Greatswordswoman, no other real choice. This is because many Falkow Files depend on early grims to make up for their weak early game (turn 1 to 5). Let me take the chance here to talk about a nifty little card called "The fate of esria". It costs no SP, gives return protection, and gives bonus atk for a turn. With a little practice, you can use it to great effect against falkow files.

There will be the obscure chance that you will hit another pixy file in a match-up, in which case pixy duel wielder will be better, but for the other 2/3 times (EN and Ruuca/Dilate, get it? lolol) Pixy GS should be better. Well actually, duel wielder might be better vs EN too. hm...

Mage pixy has also been suggested, but I think it's meh. The only files I can think of that I wouldn't want them to drop a char second turn are Dilate/Ruuca (slow down their proxy drop) or EN (Riza and Eskatia are both EN). Then against, those ARE the dominant files running around. hm.... Well, I don't see Dilate/Ruuca THAT often. And EN is pretty rare. eh.

Know your enemy and think three moves ahead! If you can predict how your opponent wants to deal with you, you have a HUGE advantage!

Overall, you want to iczer attack when you can, but there are a few times when you don't want to. First, when it would majorly affect your field stability ( like a skeleton rez to a Jack Winston or Dan Dan), OR if you want to save SP for some stuff next turn.

If you're playing a typical file, and if you've manipulated the field (like you SHOULD be doing) so that you have three or four of your pixies against his level four unit, or two level three units, then your opponent's typical next move is to use grims to blast Pixy Duel Wielder so they can avoid a field wipe. A typical answer to this is to play mitzett so that the the rest of your units are like, level 2.5. Him 'em hard and fast, and next turn whip out an SS if any one of your cute pixies die.

If it's against another level 2 rush, like EN or lvl 9 Rankup, just keep hitting em with pixies, and pray that the AGI gods like you that day. Against level three rushes, Cemetary rats helps a lot. Build up a frontline, toss out mage pixy, then play mitzett to wipe em. Then, play rats for another wipe. Rats also help against Mids, although, not as much, but you can also sac them for assassin SS.

Now on to late game. If you aren't using Fierte, you can splash in Bringer and Sakura for a quick game kill. If you don't have the cards, something like Volcanoe Wyvern works well too. This, of course, means that your duel wielder's pixy blitz is much weaker.

Magic! Or, what soul skills to use.

Soul skills for Pixies are generally anti-rush based or anti-unit based. Pixies are weaker against rushes than most rushes (ironic, huh?) because of their inability to lock low level units such as fenrir who have high AGI and attack. This gives way to a syndrome I call "WTF HAX" or, "general disability to believe that your OP pixy file is have problems against a lower tier rush file." It's important to realize that a strength of pixies is their amount of viable soul skills. The pure amount of soul skills that a pixy play can use is massive. USE THAT TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. Bluff, deceive, and strike in unexpected places. Keep them guessing.

Well timed soul skills can help your disadvantage against these cards by forcing them to die (looking at you, Eternal Night). Special cards of note:

*Sergis: Your go-to card for killing lycans or undead. Pretty much the only way to kill 'em dead. You also get to drain their SP and cards in their file! Bonus!

*Giant bug: If you don't have a Sergis, this will do in a pinch. combo with pixy assassin to kill rushes, also slightly more flexible vs mids (can do 80 damage)

*Esria & Astaforse: meh. +20 atk I guess. But I'd rather have Sergis against Lycans or Undead.

*Primrose: targeted damage is useful sometimes, and the AGI helps against high AGI cards like lycan (it's permanent). But sometimes backfires, like against sea serpent.

*Larut: More targeted damage.

*Scylla: This is an underrated card that should be used much more often.

*Heierrat Duel Gunslinger: It's good if you use it early, when most cards don't have a lot of HP

*Dual Axe Wielder et al: Field wide effect is wasted early game and pointless in many scenarios late game.

Anti-Unit: What do you do if your opponent gets a hard to deal with unit like Volcano Wyvern onto the field? Well you can:

* Assassin * it. If you've been building up a strong, stable field like you SHOULD have been, you can easily sin him to death. But this way you're losing SP too, and in addition, he isn't losing any LP. I don't like it because it's messy, and screws up your field. But it's easy to use, and gets stuff done.

*So if you have the cards for it, you can use " Fairy Knight/ Torte " or "Envoy of Chaos / Elgandi" him. In addition to killing that unit, it lets you lock more stuff, which is always good.

*Death Incarnate / Proposition: Doesn't lock, but kills stuff dead.

*Gun Princess' Sword / Mizalio: Last ditch attempt at killing stuff dead.

Finally, you can use return with "petrify + druid" combo, or "RFA + regus engineer". But personally I think this way is far inferior to just killing him.

Others:
*Dash pixy SS: This one is actually pretty good for pixies, it's helped me win many games.

*Treasure hunter: It is pretty useful though, if random.

*Liz: It's good if you're really getting eff'd up, but it's not as powerful with pixies vs other rushes since it doesn't play nice with pixy healer. Also, it can backfire REALLY BADLY if you use it against an EN file or other level 2 rush file.

*Fierte: This soul skill is really hit and miss. It will TOTALLY WRECK some files like Starmander, Urgrant, multi-sphers, etc. But it hurts you when you're playin against rushes or single sphere mid files! I don't really like it, but if you're having trouble with the kind of file it blows up and you feel like you can deal with losing a damage SS, be my guest.

*Violet x2: It's pretty good, but it's kinda random. If you do use it, try to combo it with Fierte, so they can't do anything.

*Cudgel, Chiruru, Cynthia: They're good if you can time it well

*Shelby + Song sorceress, Regus Engineer + RFA: I don't like them because you basically give up a soul skill for a free return, but they are OK again mids/bigs

Did you know?

Locks don't actually prevent cards from being played. Instead, they afflict a "locked" status on certain cards in the opponent's file at the moment they are played, preventing those cards from being played for a certain amount of turns.

Archer Pixy locks Cyclone and Burning Sun as well as level four+ units and Chars.

Mitzett has a Rankup at Gowen Lvl. 5

Mage Pixy and Pixy Healer aren't affected by Time Stop.

Pixy Greatswordswoman's Falkow Grim Lock always locks for two turns. The other locks only lock for one if there is a copy on the field.

Pixy duel wielder's Pixy Blitz can do a maximum of 120 damage.

Pixy Fighter, Pixy assassin, Dash Pixy and Mage Pixy are the only pixies that have 4 AGI!

If you play a unit card when you don't have room on the field, the card goes directly into the cemetery during your next deploy phase. However, the open skill does activate.

Archer Pixy and Mage Pixy locks take into account closed units on the field. For a full lock to be in effect, there cannot be any trace of a copy on your field.

Treasure hunter SS costs 1 sp.

This is a new feature of this guide that I will be updating on a constant basis. It is by no means completely accurate or complete. It is meant to help new pixy players learn how to play pixies by which lock to play, and develop their own strategy. This is NOT a replacement for real experience, real experience is 100x better.
KNOWING WHAT YOUR OPPONENT IS PLAYING IS A HUGE PART OF PLAYING PIXIES

IMPORTANT: LP range for files
9~11: Bigs/Mid files
12~13: Complete form/Noze
8~9:Rush files, including, but not limited to level three rushes such as carbuncles, undead, and magic dolls, and some mid files such as BKR or Guardian, some grimcounts, wizard kingdom and their hated Violet (x2) SS'.... yea this is where most of the action is.
7: All in rushes, such as pixies, EN, some WK rushes
6: Idiot rush.

IMPORTANT: A list of common opens for different files *REVAMP PENDING*

Wandering Bard OR Proxy Limier -> Marduk : Big refess (and if they have Marduk they prolly have Retear too, so kiss your a s s goodbye.)

Exiled Military Aide: Urgant

Triad of chaos -> shade -> Death's embrace + **** ton of SP gen ss : Spyclone

Catherine: Ruuca OR Emma + Mystere

Catherine -> Elite Fencer of Regus or Ex: WSoR: Wizard Kingdom, or Pirates, or Sea Serpent

EX: Girl Mercenary -> Rapid Growth +/OR First SS + 3 Gowen: Mid/Big Gowen (prolly volcano hustle)

EX: Girl Mercenary -> Proxy of Flame: Dilate/Ruuca

4 spheres in Refess + Refugee Citizens -> Unwanted Charity or 3 spheres in Refess + Kesaran Pasaran: Folrart Guardian

Kaldrao or Kesaran Pasaran: Big refess

First SS Ice Sorceress + Refugee Flying Apprentice: Grim count (lol)

Shade: Dolls (Regular and Command Variant), Duchy of Crest, and undead.

Kurina: Gowen Rush

Explosive spores: Gowen Rank-up

Any lycan: Eternal Night (duh)

Proxy: Animus: Any form of Astaforse

Emerald carbuncle: Shrine knights or buncles

What I'm thinking about now:

Resurection soul skills. When and where?

Complete lockdown is possible, but is stupid. When to lock? (keeping in mind they are trying to gain a field advantage).

When to let go? Adapt to each situation, but when to stand and fight? Needs more consideration.

What are your thoughts?
Last edited by ChiYoung on Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 73 times in total.
When the end comes, and enemies are rushing in from all sides, I will be at your right hand.
ChiYoung

Re: Pixy file strategy

Postby winfrith279 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:39 am

You will get a bunch of Gowen spheres from healer's close. Add Bringer for both the open skill and his strength.
The original pic was too big. °ᴥ°
winfrith279

Postby ChiYoung » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:47 am

winfrith279 wrote:You will get a bunch of Gowen spheres from healer's close. Add Bringer for both the open skill and his strength.

I'm using Fierte as first SS, so it doesn't always pan out that way. Maybe I should change it?
When the end comes, and enemies are rushing in from all sides, I will be at your right hand.
ChiYoung

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:52 am

Worthing used pixies to get #1rp last set. While a lot of people use fierte first, I think fierte is always better second.. And pixies might be better off not even using fierte. It contradicts with swarm mentality.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby CainHyde » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:56 am

eh... Gon, I thought you are self-claimed no 1 Fierte promoter or something like that?
"Humans fall to corruption.
So too do saints and heroes.
There is no stopping it.
That in itself is salvation."
CainHyde

Postby ChiYoung » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:01 am

GonFreeces31 wrote:Worthing used pixies to get #1rp last set. While a lot of people use fierte first, I think fierte is always better second.. And pixies might be better off not even using fierte. It contradicts with swarm mentality.

I'm trying to think of when it would be appropriate to use Fierte. It complete destroys Urgant, Noze, and Starmander, as well as most multispheres. But it is much less effective against any mid file and completely useless against rushes.

But how is it contradictory with swarm mentality? You can still play a card each turn.
ChiYoung

Postby rsvlito » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:13 am

For pixes I don't like to use Fierte SS because you have units that lock higher level units. I've dealt with Big Gowen and won because my SS focus on returning pixies to my file to continue locking mids/bigs and reviving my field. I remember one match I won because my opponent used Burning Air while I didn't revive anything to let my Liz SS revive all my pixies. Then next turn opponent plays Allind and I play Fairy Dance allowing all my pixies to live and iczer the last 3 lp of my opponent.

In general if I use Fierte I run it first SS.
I run EN a lot and I have one version with Fierte first SS and another second SS. The file with Fierte first SS has a much greater win/lose ratio than the other. IMO with EN Fierte first SS works best in most cases. This might have to do with my play style. Fierte first SS rarely sets me back even vs other rushes including a decent pixy files.
Last edited by rsvlito on Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
I shouldn't have bit my fingernails, now it hurts to pick my nose :(

"Less QQ more pewpew"
"They See Me Rollin They Hatin"
"Haters Gonna Hate!"

Gowen = Fire
Fire = Intensity
Intensity = Power
Power = Win
rsvlito

Postby GonFreeces31 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:15 am

Well yes it really hurts some files if put in the first slot. However you should lose verse most rush files for not having a field oriented soul in the first slot. When fierte activates you won't be able to keep pouring out units cause you yourself lost SP also. I think its worth consideration, is fierte really worth it? Cause a lot of times using it will lose you games.

@cain: I just think its balanced.

Another thing is pixy players always use that treasure hunter soul. I don't think this should be a given. I've seen a lot of pixy players lose cause they used a treasure hunter instead of a damage or assassin soul. Maybe sometimes using another soul will be better. At least consider alternatives people.

@rsv: in the invitational tourney I beat so many EN decks with lawt rush because they used fierte first. EZ wins. If they used sergis they would have beat me.
The True Hero / Callonia
GonFreeces31

Postby rsvlito » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:20 am

GonFreeces31 wrote:@rsv: in the invitational tourney I beat so many EN decks with lawt rush because they used fierte first. EZ wins. If they used sergis they would have beat me.

Well I haven't vs your lawtia rush file but I don't usually lose with my EN file. The only reason I never get above 1900 rp is because I don't play enough to get my RP up. I'm sure I'd lose to your lawtia rush but vs most I just lolz. I've always prefered Fierte SS as my first SS in Gowen rush and EN. Like I said its my play style and not for everyone.

"Less QQ more pewpew"
"Haters Gonna Hate!"

Gowen = Fire
Fire = Intensity
Intensity = Power
Power = Win
rsvlito

Postby rsvlito » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:28 am

Here is the pixy file that I love to run. All pixies and two fairy dance. Double sergis ss cause I love the ss and many of my files include a double sergis ss.

Yeah it has weaknesses but I easily beat EN, character heavy files and many bigs.

"Less QQ more pewpew"
"Haters Gonna Hate!"

Gowen = Fire
Fire = Intensity
Intensity = Power
Power = Win
rsvlito

Next

Return to Annarose's Sanctum